Ian Pagano, PhD
- Assistant Professor (Assistant Specialist) and Associate Member
Cancer Prevention in the Pacific Program
University of Hawai'i Cancer Center
- PhD, MA (Quantitative Psychology), University of Hawai'i
I am a biostatistician for the Cancer Prevention and Control Program and also a member of the Biostatistics and Informatics Shared Resource. Although I work primarily with the Prevention and Control faculty, I provide statistical support to all Cancer Center programs â€” including Cancer Biology, Clinical and Translational Research, and Epidemiology. As part of my specialist position, I write statistical methods for grant applications and manuscripts, manage data, and run analyses. My expertise includes general linear models, logistic regression, factor analysis, structural equation modeling, multilevel models, item response theory, measurement models, dynamical systems, time-to-event (survival) analysis, nonlinear models, construct validation, quality control, sampling, power analysis, and experimental design.
- Napolitano A, Antoine DJ, Pellegrini L, Baumann F, Pagano I, Pastorino S, Goparaju CM, Prokrym K, Canino C, Pass HI, Carbone M, Yang H. (2016). HMGB1 and Its Hyperacetylated Isoform are Sensitive and Specific Serum Biomarkers to Detect Asbestos Exposure and to Identify Mesothelioma Patients. Clin Cancer Res. 22(12):3087-96. PubMed PMID: 26733616; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4867109.
- Peres R, Furuya H, Pagano I, Shimizu Y, Hokutan K, Rosser CJ. (2016). Angiogenin contributes to bladder cancer tumorigenesis by DNMT3b-mediated MMP2 activation. Oncotarget. PubMed PMID: 27317771.
- Wills TA, Knight R, Sargent JD, Gibbons FX, Pagano I, Williams RJ. (2016). Longitudinal study of e-cigarette use and onset of cigarette smoking among high school students in Hawaii. Tob Control. PubMed PMID: 26811353; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4959970.
- Wills TA, Knight R, Williams RJ, Pagano I, Sargent JD. (2015). Risk factors for exclusive e-cigarette use and dual e-cigarette use and tobacco use in adolescents. Pediatrics. 135(1):e43-51. PubMed PMID: 25511118; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4279062.
- Yoshikawa Y, Emi M, Hashimoto-Tamaoki T, Ohmuraya M, Sato A, Tsujimura T, Hasegawa S, Nakano T, Nasu M, Pastorino S, Szymiczek A, Bononi A, Tanji M, Pagano I, Gaudino G, Napolitano A, Goparaju C, Pass HI, Yang H, Carbone M. (2016). High-density array-CGH with targeted NGS unmask multiple noncontiguous minute deletions on chromosome 3p21 in mesothelioma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. PubMed PMID: 27834213
Publication list via PubMed
- I. Pagano, Role: Biostatistician / PI: Michele Carbone
1 R01 CA198138 01
"Germline BAP1 Mutations and Malignant Mesothelioma: Mechanisms and Early Detection"
- I. Pagano, Role: Biostatistician / PI: Neal Palafox
2 U54 CA143727 06A1
"University of Guam / University of Hawaii Cancer Center Partnership"
- I. Pagano, Role: Biostatistician / PI: Pallav Pokhrel
1 R01 CA202277 01NIH/NCI
"Prospective effects of electronic cigarette marketing on expectancies and behavior"