Yurii B. Shvetsov, PhD
- Assistant Professor
Cancer Epidemiology Program
University of Hawaii Cancer Center
- PhD (Mathematics), Montana State University
- MS (Statistics), Montana State University
Dr. Shvetsov provides support to member investigators of the University of Hawaii Cancer Center in the area of biostatistics, which includes study design, assessment of statistical power, selection of the most appropriate statistical methods, and data analysis. He has been involved in the analysis of data from a number of studies at UH Cancer Center including female and male HPV studies, cancer surveillance studies using nationwide tumor registry data, and nested case-control studies using data from the Multiethnic Cohort Study. Through extensive work on the Hawaii HPV cohort studies, he has developed expertise in infectious disease epidemiology, natural history, and risk factors. Because infectious disease data is longitudinal in nature, he employed survival analysis techniques, primarily Cox regression with time-to-event data and time-dependent factors of interest, and used a number of extensions of the basic Cox model, such as models with multiple events per subject, left and right censoring of study subjects, and stratification on the type of event, e.g. competing risk models. He is currently involved in the data analysis for ongoing studies and in the development of potential future studies in the areas such as epidemiology of cancer-causing infections, genetic and epigenetic risk factors for cancer incidence, and nutritional and lifestyle factors in cancer risk and prognosis. His research interests also include methodological questions such as set-based tests of association and topology-based pathway analysis methods in genetic association studies, parametric and nonparametric methods of assessing nonlinear functional form of a relationship between factors of interest, and reliability of laboratory measurements and its effect on the analysis and interpretation of data from epidemiologic studies.
- Shvetsov YB, Hernandez BY, Wong SH, Wilkens LR, Franke AA, Goodman MT. Intra-individual variability in serum micronutrients: effects on reliability of estimated parameters. Epidemiology 2009;20:36-43. PMID: 18813024.
- Shvetsov YB, Hernandez BY, McDuffie K, Wilkens LR, Zhu X, Ning L, Killeen J, Kamemoto L, Goodman MT. Duration and clearance of anal human papillomavirus infection among women: the Hawaii HPV cohort study. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2009;48:536-546. PMID: 19191636.
- Shvetsov YB, Hernandez BY, Wilkens LR, Thompson PJ, Franke AA, Zhu X, Goodman MT. Plasma micronutrients and the acquisition and clearance of anal human papillomavirus infection: the Hawaii HPV Cohort Study. Cancer Research 2010;70:9787-9797. PMID: 20935226.
- Scott ME, Shvetsov YB, Thompson PJ, Hernandez BY, Zhu X, Wilkens LR, Killeen J, Vo D, Moscicki AB, Goodman MT. Cervical cytokines and clearance of incident human papillomavirus infection: Hawaii HPV Cohort Study. International Journal of Cancer 2013;133:1187-1196. PMID: 23436563.
Publication list via PubMed