Lana Garmire, PhD
- Assistant Professor
Cancer Epidemiology Program
University of Hawaii Cancer Center
- Graduate Faculty
Program of Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering
Program of Public Health Studies
- Faculty member
Institute of Biogenesis Research
Department of Anatomy, Physiology, and Physiology
John A. Burns School of Medicine
University of Hawaii
- Postdoc, Bioengineering, University of California at San Diego
- PhD, Comparative Biochemistry (computational biology focus), University of California at Berkeley
- MS, Statistics, University of California at Berkeley
Dr. Lana Garmire is a tenure-track assistant professor in translational bioinformatics. She obtained her PhD from UC-Berkeley, and did her postdoctoral training (2008-2011) under the joint mentorship of Professor Shankar Subramaniam in the Bioengineering Department and Professor Christopher Glass in the Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, UC-San Diego. Dr. Garmire collaborated widely with world-renowned researchers at UC-San Diego, including Professor Shu Chien, a member of all three US national institutesâ€”the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the National Institute of Medicine. She then worked for one year as a senior computational scientist in Asuragen Inc., a spinoff of Ambion, the RNA company, and acquired the first bioinformatics NIH SBIR grant of the company.
Dr. Garmire assumed her tenure-track faculty position at the University of Hawaii Cancer Center in December 2012. Three major research models have been established in Dr. Garmire's group. They are to: (1) initiate and conduct computational and bioinformatics projects using public data and sources; (2) partner with experimental groups (such as the single cell sequencing projects with Professor Sherman Weissman, a NAS member, at Yale University, and (3) initiate translational research projects, with the engagement of clinicians, experimental biologists, epidemiologists, computer scientists and engineers. Dr. Garmire has received $1.4 million in funding since her appointment at the UH Cancer Center.
- Translational informatics of cancers and immune-related diseases, such as classifying biomarkers for cancer prognosis and diagnosis
- Use high-throughput methods (next-generation sequencing method etc.) to study non-coding RNAs, such as microRNAs and intergenic non-coding RNAs
- Integrative omics/clinic data analysis
- Develop computational methods to analyze high-throughput data from next-generation sequencing et al.
- Systems biology modeling
- Ching T, Song MA, Tiirikainen M, Molnar J, Berry M, Towner D, Garmire LX. Genome-wide hypermethylation coupled with promoter hypomethylation in the chorioamniotic membranes of early onset pre-eclampsia. Mol Hum Repro, 2014 Jun. PMID: 24944161.
- Garmire LX, Subramaniam S.The poor performance of TMM on microRNA-Seq. RNA, 2013 Jun;19(6):735-6. PMID: 23616641.
- Spann NJ, Garmire LX, McDonald JG, Myers DS, Milne SB, Shibata N, Reichart D, Fox JN, Shaked I, Heudobler D, Raetz CR, Wang EW, Kelly SL, Sullards MC, Murphy RC, Merrill AH Jr, Brown HA, Dennis EA, Li AC, Ley K,Tsimikas S, Fahy E, Subramaniam S, Quehenberger O, Russell DW, Glass CK.Regulated accumulation of desmosterol integrates macrophage lipid metabolism and inflammatory responses. Cell, 2012,151(1):138-52. PMID: 23021221.
- Garmire LX, Subramaniam S. Evaluation of normalization methods in mammalian microRNA-Seq data. RNA, 2012, 18(6):1279-88. PMID: 22532701.
- Garmire LX, Garmire DG, Huang W, Yao J, Glass CK, Subramaniam S. A global clustering algorithm to identify long intergenic non-coding RNA--with applications in mouse macrophages. PLoS One, 2011;6(9):e24051. PMID: 21980340.
- Wang KC, Garmire LX, Young A, Nguyen P, Trinh A, Subramaniam S, Wang N, Shyy JY, Li YS, Chien S. Role of microRNA-23b in flow-regulation of Rb phosphorylation and endothelial cell growth. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 2010,107(7):3234-9.PMID: 20133741.
Publication list via PubMed
- University of Hawaii Cancer Research Center Faculty Start-Up Grant (Principle Investigator) 12/19/2013-12/18/2016
- Hawaii Community Foundation (Principle Investigator) 05/15/2014-11/14/2015
- NIH/NIGMS P20 COBRE GM103457 (Project Leader) 07/01/2014-06/30/2019