Mitsuru Emi, MD, PhD
- Adjunct Professor, University of Hawaiâi Cancer Center
- Distinguished Professor, Yamagata University Medical School, Hyogo College of Medicine, DNA Chip Research Institute, and, Hokkaido University Medical School, Japan
- Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan, M.D.
- Osaka University Graduate School, Osaka, Japan, Ph.D., Medicine/Surgery
- University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, Postdoctoral training, Human Genetics
Dr. Mitsuru Emi is a professor of medicine/human genetics and a practicing surgeon in Japan with a broad background in surgical oncology, human genetics, and molecular biology. He has been involved in the study of molecular mechanisms of the development and progression of human tumors in order to develop accurate diagnoses and to identify drug targets through understanding the molecular cascade involved in the carcinogenesis.
Through his medical career in Japan, Dr. Emi has witnessed an increasing incidence and mortality of citizens with malignant mesotheliona. He is especially interested in gene-environment interactions in the development of effective prevention measures. He has chosen to become a faculty member of the UH Cancer Center and work under the direction of Dr. Michele Carboneâs thoracic oncology research team which has excelled in the study of malignant mesothelioma in the U.S. and Turkey. Dr. Emiâs research will involve the measurement of genomic alternations, identification of causative genes and specific mutations, RNA profiling, protein analyses, and functional assays through gene targeting.
- Sekimoto T, Ishii M, Emi M, Kurogi S, Funamoto T, Hamada H, Chosa E. Segmental copy number loss in the region of Semaphorin 4D gene in patients with acetabular dysplasia. J Orthop Res. 2013, 31:957-61.
- Yoshikawa Y, Sato A, Tsujimura T, Emi M, Morinaga T, Fukuoka K, Yamada S, Murakami A, Kondo N, Matsumoto S, Okumura Y, Tanaka F, Hasegawa S, Nakano T, Hashimoto-Tamaoki T. Frequent inactivation of the BAP1 gene in epithelioid-type malignant mesothelioma. Cancer Sci. 2012 Feb 9. [Epub ahead of print.]
- Ueno T, Emi M, Sato H, Ito N, Muta M, Kuroi K, Toi M. Genome-wide copy number analysis in primary breast cancer. Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2012 Mar;16, 1:S31-5. Epub 2012 Feb 8.
- Yu W, Imoto I, Inoue J, Onda M, Emi M, Inazawa J. A novel amplification target, DUSP26, promotes anaplastic thyroid cancer cell growth by inhibiting p38 MAPK activity. Oncogene 2007; 26:1178-87.
- Nagahata T, Sato T, Tomura A, Onda M, Nishikawa K, Emi M. Identification of RA13 as a therapeutic target for breast cancer. Endocrine-Related Cancer 2005; 12: 65-73.
- M. Emi, Principal Investigator
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research award from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan.â¨
âCharacterization of structural abnormalities of genes on chromosome 3p21 region among malignant mesotheliomas.â April 1, 2013-March 2016
- M. Emi, Cooperating Faculty. (H. Yamashita, Principal Investigator)
Grant-in-Aid, Global COE Program (F05 â Medical Science)
âFormation of an international network for education and research of molecular epidemiologyâ
April 1, 2008-March 31, 2013