Song Yi Park, PhD
- Assistant Specialist and Associate Member
Cancer Epidemiology Program
University of Hawaii Cancer Center
- PhD, MS, Nutrition
Seoul National University, Korea
Dr. Park's primary research interest is to explore the role of diet in cancer prevention and development among and across ethnically diverse populations. Her studies have investigated diet as a risk factor for cancer in two perspectives, individual dietary components such as single food nutrients, or other bioactive compounds, and overall dietary quality such as dietary patterns, which are typical combinations of foods people consume. Also, she is interested in the assessment of dietary changes or dietary acculturation among ethnic minorities after immigration from their home country to the U.S. and across the generations, and their impact on the pattern of cancer incidence. Currently, her research is focusing on changes in diet and lifestyle factors over time in relation to cancer mortality as well as cancer incidence in a multiethnic population.
- Park SY, Wilkens LR, Kolonel LN, Henderson BE, Le Marchand L. (2016). Inverse associations of dietary fiber and menopausal hormone therapy with colorectal cancer risk in the Multiethnic Cohort Study. Int J Cancer, 139(6):1241-1250.
- Park SY, Haiman CA, Cheng I, Park SL, Wilkens LR, Kolonel LN, Le Marchand L, Henderson BE. (2015). Racial/ethnic differences in lifestyle-related factors and prostate cancer risk: the Multiethnic Cohort Study. Cancer Causes Control, 26(10):1507-1515.
- Park SY, Kolonel LN, Lim U, White KK, Henderson BE, Wilkens LR. (2014). Alcohol consumption and breast cancer risk among women from five ethnic groups with light to moderate intakes: the Multiethnic Cohort Study. Int J Cancer, 134(6):1504-1510.
- Park SY, Ollberding NJ, Woolcott CG, Wilkens LR, Henderson BE, Kolonel LN. (2013). Fruit and vegetable intakes are associated with lower risk of bladder cancer among women in the Multiethnic Cohort Study. J Nutr, 143:1283-1292.
- Park SY, Wilkens LR, Murphy SP, Monroe KR, Henderson BE, Kolonel LN. (2012). Body mass index and mortality in an ethnically diverse population: the Multiethnic Cohort Study. Eur J Epidemiol, 27:489-497.
Publication list via PubMed
- S.Y. Park, Co-Investigator, (Principal Investigators: L. Le Marchand/C. Haiman/L. Wilkens)
NCI U01 CA164973
"Understanding Ethnic Differences in Cancer: The Multiethnic Cohort Study"
09/01/12 - 08/31/17
- S.Y. Park, Co-Investigator, (Principal Investigators: C. Ambrosone/A. Olshan/J. Palmer)
NCI P01 CA151135
"Epidemiology of Breast Cancer Subtypes in African American Women: a Consortium"
08/01/11 - 07/31/17